Change of Monarchs

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Re: Change of Monarchs

Post by Lee »

Connor wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 23:16 Latest estimate....another two hours to go, so five hours in total !!
I hope you enjoyed the unique experience.

I’m sure there must have been police officers along the route. I’d love to have taken the opportunity to say to one of them something like, ‘I’ll be glad to get to a toilet. What do you do about relieving yourself at an event like this?”

The response could have been interesting!!
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

I’d love to know this though. I wonder if the guardsmen, military, police, etc are actually given any genuine directives about what to do if they somehow find themselves in serious need during the formalities?
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Lee wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 22:12 I’d love to know this though. I wonder if the guardsmen, military, police, etc are actually given any genuine directives about what to do if they somehow find themselves in serious need during the formalities?
Solemn public events like this must not lose dignity by something like wet trousers, so the commanding officers would be remiss if they did not prepare the men for the possibility of needing to pee. Written directives could be embarrassing if leaked out, so instructions would probably be oral. I'd love to be a fly on the wall as they were given! :o
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Post by Sam70 »

Very good questions. I suspect that a place was arranged about halfway in more obscure place and media was told not to film that short detour. Perhaps a funeral home was made available.

I don’t know the law in Scotland, but there may be laws limiting how long a paid driver can drive without a break.

If the drive has been 8 hours, that would not be possible for that many in the group to all be able to hold it 8 hours.

How far can that hearse go before it needs the fuel tank filled?

I suspect that somewhere a break after about three hours was scheduled and steps taken to make sure no video was taken. A bus or RV. with a toilet available may have been parked out away from people to take care of toilet needs.

Can you imagine a directive going to all going on the trip to wear maximum capacity adult diapers as there would be no stopping for a toilet break!
Connor
Involved

Post by Connor »

There were some police along the route, but not that many, quite a few security guards from G4S, and various stewards. I used one of the portaloos after about two hours, and by the time we'd exited I was needing to go again, not desperately, but enough to be slightly uncomfortable. After a certain point there weren't really that many loos. There were plenty in the first section when you queued for a wristband, before you joined the actual route. After that there were long stretches with no facilities.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Connor wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:38 There were some police along the route, but not that many, quite a few security guards from G4S, and various stewards. I used one of the portaloos after about two hours, and by the time we'd exited I was needing to go again, not desperately, but enough to be slightly uncomfortable. After a certain point there weren't really that many loos. There were plenty in the first section when you queued for a wristband, before you joined the actual route. After that there were long stretches with no facilities.
Pleased you got to experience it.
Keith
Can't stay away...

Post by Keith »

I wondered about this when i seen the crowds in Edinburgh if there would be much desperation as people weren't really going to be drinking etc.
I'm not a very pro royalist at all so didn't make the effort to travel the 20 miles through but it did come across my mind a couple of times if there would be any stories come from this..
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

According to US news reports, the line waiting to pay their respects was over two miles long.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Fred wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:40 According to US news reports, the line waiting to pay their respects was over two miles long.
In London today it’s a four-mile queue!
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Lee wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 13:23
Fred wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:40 According to US news reports, the line waiting to pay their respects was over two miles long.
In London today it’s a four-mile queue!
Yes, I heard that on today's news! Some people "camped out" to reserve their place in the queue, and where did they all pee? Surely way over 100,000 people waiting for hours and hours. Even if there are kindly businesses and residents that will allow public use of their toilets, there can't be enough of them!