Change of Monarchs

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
jdoewest
Arrived
Change of Monarchs

Post by jdoewest »

With the death of the Queen, and a new King's ascension to the throne, there are expected to be unprecedented crowds of mourners and well wishers filling the streets, queuing for hours (even overnight) to pay respects, etc., I am sure this may create some scenarios where toilets are difficult to find or access. Does anyone have first hand experience or eye witness accounts in situations like these?

Also, I watched as the Queen's coffin was driven six hours from Balmoral to Edinburgh. Six hour is a long time to drive without a break and certainly don't think the driver could have just pulled over on the side of the road to relieve himself. Does anyone have any insight into how this was handled? Was there a planned change of drivers or did the driver just hold it the whole time?
Brian
Site Staff
Re: Change of Monarchs

Post by Brian »

The image of the driver of the hearse having to pull over for a pee during such a sad and solemn occasion watched by millions tickles me pink. No, surely he'd have to just do it in his pants if he couldn't wait until whatever had been arranged for his relief.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

In each of the six vehicles following the hearse, there were two plain-clothed police officers. Surely it was likely there’d have been one pair of wet pants at the end of the six-hour drive?
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

The six-hour drive was anticipated, so I imagine that the officers and drivers involved would wear either adult diapers or external catheters. Wet trousers would be inappropriate for such a solemn occasion, so they shouldn't risk it.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

I do have a cruel image in my head of two officers sitting alongside the Princess Royal in one of the cars, and a sudden announcement of “please shift alongside the seat a bit if you can ma’am, I’ve just started to wet myself!”

😀😀
Connor
Involved

Post by Connor »

Well I'm in Edinburgh, and I'm one of those daft people who have joined the queue here.....have been queuing so far for two hours. There are strategically placed portaloos along the queue route. But not that regular.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Connor wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 22:02 Well I'm in Edinburgh, and I'm one of those daft people who have joined the queue here.....have been queuing so far for two hours. There are strategically placed portaloos along the queue route. But not that regular.
Good luck!!
Connor
Involved

Post by Connor »

Latest estimate....another two hours to go, so five hours in total !!
Jamester81
Active

Post by Jamester81 »

I would imagine the driver and others in the car would've taken precautions knowing they had a 6 hour drive with so many watching. Although some men might think they can hold their bladders for 6 hours? Imagine being 2 hours in and needing a pee contemplating another 4 hours before relief!

I did see some scenes of people queuing in Edinburgh on the news. For a brief moment there was a young man seen hopping from one foot to the other.
Connor
Involved

Post by Connor »

Jamester81 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 00:01 I did see some scenes of people queuing in Edinburgh on the news. For a brief moment there was a young man seen hopping from one foot to the other.
To be fair I think a lot of people were hopping to just keep the circulation going! But I'm certain there must have been some desperate guys in the crowd, there were plenty of loos at the Meadows where everyone was gathered initially, but then there was quite a long stretch with no toilets, so if you missed your chance that was it for a while, assuming you didn't want to loose your place in the queue!!