The Parade

Stories, writings, literature, partial stories, multiple chapters etc. Discussions within the stories threads also permitted and encouraged. Please get involved, we always like new and old material, and different writing styles. Please do not post any sexual references here, there is another section for those stories (SI).
Tytn
Site Staff
The Parade

Post by Tytn »

[[Sorry, this will be a slow story]]
Tytn
Site Staff
Re: The Parade

Post by Tytn »

The doors unlocked with a rattle and a clatter at 7am and the first of the team entered. The cold inside was worse than outside as it was an unheated building that had not been used in some time, the air was dry and was a bit stale but it wasn’t too obvious. The banks of lights powered on with clicks and buzzes as the starters in the fluorescent tubes were coaxed into life, leaving parts of the main hall flickering in erratic pulses as others strove to brighten the darkness.

There were only thin foot high slits high up the walls as windows, not to look out of but to allow some light in the daytime. The team of helpers briefly stood there, almost accounting for everyone else with brief nods and half smiles, then as they all remembered their tasks, they strode off to complete them.

The first main task, before most things, was that the room needed hoovering up, and as was often the case, 2 of the beasts were called in. Dyson Professionals, with large collection tubes and longer cords. Their operators followed the pattern of the carpet floor tiles as they swept their machines down in long runs, repeating each others coverage, and then crossing from side to side.

Today was an important event, and they needed to show their respect and due diligence to their duty, as others had done before them. They didn’t want to let anyone down.

Others opened the stores and kitchens, and worked out the chairs and tables needed, and phones were duly extracted from pockets as various ‘to do’ lists were poked and prodded. Some even used a small notepad, but most were on their precious electronic instruments now.

By the time the cleaning team was halfway through their task, tables and chairs had been carried in and stacked inside the room near the door. They were all the interlocking type and had been acquired many years ago when such things were fashionable, and easy to clean. Chairs also started to build up so that when the cleaners had finished their task they immediately put away their noisy machines and carried the tables out into position

It had been decided on 3 full length rows, each table getting 2-3 chairs and separated with enough room to get a wheel chair and a bit of poorly used chairs. Because that was how it happened. You couldn’t expect them to sit primly at the tables, and they would want to walk around. This was almost a social event for the participants too.

Finally the metal roller shutter doors were raised with a noisy clatter that filled the hall. The Bar. Glasses were checked, various bottles and pumps were accessed and flush pumps fired up to check and clean the intermediate piping, then push through compressed air to dry things out. These produced various whistles and hisses, followed by clunks and clattering, and running happily on automatic.

By 8am the hall was setup, and at the far end of the room 3 large urns with large filled 5 litre water containers stacked up behind them. They looked new and fresh, but were reused from the last event. Only checked and then refilled with fresh water for the purpose. Filled, and switched on, they would run most of the day with a few exceptions. Large containers of tea and coffee kept back to be used by the servers. Trays and trays of mugs, clean and ready. The dishwasher, also an industrial grade, was ready and waiting to be used.

8.30 saw the first to arrive. An elderly couple, arm in arm and dressed in all their best, their heads covered and light coats on. They would be marching in their best so had all manner of layers on underneath, but for now could relax in here out of the biting cold. The room had heaters, but they were set low to take the chill off than anything. Not to make it too warm as that would have a detrimental effect on the parade.

By 9am a steady stream of people were arriving. The cleaning team had done their bit and were sat down near the urns, chatting quietly and greeting the new comers as they came, often already well-known as they had done this role for many years. One member of the cleaning team went around with a set of keys and opened up the side doors for the other parts of the facility. The comfortable seating room (heaters on, lights flickering to life) and then the other facilities. These were given a cursory examination to ensure that there had been no damage or leakage, the toilets flushed, they didn’t need cleaning and there was soap out. He returned to the others just as the room was filling and already the urns were pushing steam as a few had decided to partake of a bracing mug of tea before the event.

The cadet and youth forces, the military representatives; the 110th MPs, the 2nd Queen’s Own Hussars, and the 8th Dragoon Guards. Their uniforms at their best, boots and medals shined to an inch of their life, and all the attitude and control that went with it. They were the first to line up for the tea, their force of life. Most had started early in the day and had had a coach ride over here so a nice cup of tea would help loads. The younger members collected the precious mugs for the senior NCOs and Officers. The other youth organisations, members of the public, support organisations, civil and health support services. They were all there in one way or another. Some refrained from drinks, and others did not, so by the time the parade was forming up the dishwasher was already hard at work washing the 200 mugs used with the sideboard and trays lined up, to be refilled again.

Outside, plates were being put down. The smart plates were being used, the best ones. Some cutlery in old ceramic pub pint pots with the ceremonial or historic symbology on them. By 9.45 the hall was empty of most, with the last 15 minutes being a bit of a rush as the facilities were hogged by the older generation and those who thought they could go before the event, then were sorely disappointed.

[Mk2 17 Nov 2017 2345 Tytn]
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Setting the scene with rich detail is not being "slow"! We await the next chapter… :shock:
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Agreed.
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Although, just re reading it now remind me that I should’ve proofread it this morning. Oops ;)
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Aww, don't worry about proof reading, just get those guys out on parade and tell us what happens when their bladders fill up. :roll: :D
Adrian6970
Entrenched!

Post by Adrian6970 »

A good start. I await more.
burstingguys
Site Staff

Post by burstingguys »

Waiting eagerly for the next installment :D
"I gotta get in there man!"
greatwater
Can't stay away...

Post by greatwater »

Interesting!
"What a relief! I thought I was gonna wet myself at the interview!"
"Damn the traffic! Been holding for about three hours!"
"Here we go! Ahhhhhhh Amazing piss!"
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

burstingguys wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 05:59 Waiting eagerly for the next installment :D
Waiting eagerly for some time off from my 75 hour week to do it ;) But I'll get there, before the thoughts fade too much. It mostly hinges what I saw at the end :D As well as the fidgetters and those that couldn't stand still during the service ;) But they were short on seats and, thanks to my position at the time within the community, I had quite an overseeing position :D :D :D