Referee

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Referee

Post by Sam70 »

I watched the US football championship game. It reminded me of a football game last fall that I never did post here.

On the screen there were all four referees. right in the middle of the game. There was something unusual. He seemed hunched over and tense.

Then a person came up and took his place. His uniform was slightly different. I assume he was a backup if needed.

Just a little time passed and the referee that returned. The hunched over and tenseness was gone. The sub referee left the field.

I had to wonder if the referee was in desperation. Consider all the running they do, throwing and catching footballs, etc and most of them are past 30 and a few past 40.

I wonder how often a referee in a football or similar game gets desperate? and, how often a referee has to leave the game to avoid an accident?

Do all professional and university games have a sub referee there if he is needed so a referee doesn't wet his pants on national TV?

Also, tonight after the championship game, one of the players wearing white pants had a dark spot just to the left of where any fluid could escape.

I wonder if that was a slight leakage? The lad didn't show any signs of desperation.
Fred
Site Staff

Re: Referee

Post by Fred »

I have seen videos of European/South American football referees peeing on the field, though I probably couldn't find them again now. Like the players, they have to be well hydrated and they can't interrupt a game just to take a wee. As noted, some aren't youngsters and may be reaching an age where they can't hold it as long as they used to.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Interesting situation! The referee who Sam describes was fortunate to be able to call for backup.

Is tennis on topic too? I remember watching TV coverage of a tennis match many years ago, one of the grand slam tournaments, possibly the Paris one. I think it was the final set of a men's match, where one player must get a two game advantage to win the set and match, and this one was going on a long time because they kept on equalising. After a game when they had equalised yet again, and it must have been 8-8 or 9-9, the umpire, a man who looked in his thirties, immediately got down from his chair, told the players he needed to go to the toilet, and left the court for a couple of minutes.

I remember the astonished look on both players' faces when he said it, one of them particularly seeming to respond "you what??" or something.

That umpire must have been in despair when the players equalised yet again and he knew he couldn't hold on for yet another double game. Players can request a "comfort break", but the umpire isn't supposed to do that!
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

I also recall an American football coach who was criticized for peeing in a container on the sidelines during a game.
cutsleeve
Can't stay away...

Post by cutsleeve »

I bet many of those south American and European soccer players had very full bladders with all the hydration and some probably had to go so bad it was painful to stand up straight but they kept up with their play anyway being masculine and playing through the pain. usually being in sport mode will lock your piss in and you won't piss yourself during the game even if your bladder is so full you would have pissed yourself otherwise.
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Post by Sam70 »

So that means some of our lads playing sports when out of sports mode might soak their uniform on the way to the toilets after the game. Perhaps I might want to volunteer to supervise the trip to the toilets after the game when sports mode is no longer there!
FranticK
Active

Post by FranticK »

In the US, I think baseball might cause the most desperation. Outside of the MLB and top college programs, a lot of baseball fields don’t have any toilets, so you either have to hold it, or find a tree, which isn’t usually discrete. Combine that with baseball being played in the hot summer weather and games lasting for many hours, and it’s a recipe for desperation.
jammyb
Active

Post by jammyb »

There was an incident at the Australian open tennis a few years ago where they had to suspend play because one of the ball boys wet himself…
FranticK
Active

Post by FranticK »

jammyb wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 23:27 There was an incident at the Australian open tennis a few years ago where they had to suspend play because one of the ball boys wet himself…
Yikes, that sounds like a literal nightmare. Was the guy having some sort of health event? I can image standing in the hot sun making someone dizzy/faint. Otherwise, suspending play seems extreme unless there was a literal puddle.
cutsleeve
Can't stay away...

Post by cutsleeve »

depends on how amped up the soccer players are after the game. they can stay in sport mode for a while after the game. a lot of tracks were at the edge of a field even if in the area of a school they were far away. others were out by themselves where they could find space for a track. so you had to do the event holding then keep holding for the return bus trip back which can be hours for an away event. is a good thing the track shorts are thin and short as they dry fast after pissing yourself. lots of times I and other boys were pressing between our legs to hold it in between events in track and to see if we can hold it in for the return trip. I always drank a lot of mt dew on the way to the track meet along with taking creatine so I could get faster times in my events. my bladder was always swollen big at track meets and got bigger on the trip back. hmm for the ball boy guessing there would be a puddle as most ball boys would be good at holding a lot. I would think it would be one of the requirements of being a ball boy is that your good at holding a lot so you can be drinking water or pop and keep holding it through multiple back-to-back tennis matches. I'm guessing you have to be a fast sprinter too to be a ball boy.