OSHA Requirements

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Fred
Site Staff

OSHA Requirements

Post by Fred »

On a construction site in the US, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires 1 toilet seat for up to 20 workers, and for over 20, it's 1 toilet seat and 1 urinal for every 40 workers. Some portable toilets contain both in one unit, but it would be awfully cozy to have two men in there peeing at the same time, so I guess they would have to have two separate units. They have to be nearby, but apparently "nearby" means less than 10 minutes away.

So I'm picturing my imaginary worksite (with free coffee available all day) with 19 workers. Three breaks (midmorning, lunch, mid afternoon). If all 19 men go to pee only during their breaks, it could take up to 40 minutes (20 minutes travel and 20 minutes waiting) for the last man in line each time. That's two hours out of an eight-hour day just for peeing three times, and I'm assuming that none of them need more time for "the other elimination". Then, of course, they need time to eat their lunches.

Under those circumstances, I'd hire only men with large bladders, and I'd encourage daily hold-it contests.
Brian
Site Staff
Re: OSHA Requirements

Post by Brian »

Hmm, I think I'd prefer to hire guys with small bladders. Then the hold-it contests wouldn't be necessary to arrange since they would occur anyway. ;)

Those sound like quite stingy requirements to me. Queues would be likely, I think.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

A question that was raised that prompted the publishing of the official OSHA regulation was about having a crew working on the tenth floor of a building with no functioning elevators and the nearest portapotty was at ground level. If I were one of those workers I'd make as few trips as possible to avoid walking back up ten flights of stairs. I'd hold until the last possible minute!
Def123
Entrenched!

Post by Def123 »

I bet they hold off and I bet it results in them pissing in bottles, buckets and used coffee cups left right and centre!