What? Is something going on?

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
bodgyuk
Site Staff

What? Is something going on?

Post by bodgyuk »

This is totally off topic - so this must be the right place to post this video clip. Click on the first item VIEW button.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1365997645378949126

I have to say it always amuses me when people studiously ignore what they can obviously see in respect to this type of thing.

I'm not sure if it is because I'm a westerner, but in this particular page there are little clips of incidents occurring in Shibuya and some are really serious, and yet people just walk on by as if, if they stopped to help, they would become personally responsible and intimately involved for what is going on. therefore etiquette demands you just ignore someone in great danger.
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Re: What? Is something going on?

Post by googlism2008 »

For those who don't know, Shibuya is in Tokyo, Japan.

I have very little knowledge of Japanese culture, but my understanding is that the dancer has committed an etiquette fax paus. On the public transport, people should avoid disturbing others, so even talking on the mobile phone is to be avoided, much less making such a big ruckus which the western culture sees as acceptable. On the other hand, Japanese people tend to be very patient, self-controlled, and tolerant lot, which in my opinion makes them very resilient people. They tend to be accepting when foreigners make cultural mistakes, and are appreciative when foreigners attempt to learn their language and understand their culture. I also have the impression that they are usually not overt at expressing disapproval, so I am not surprised when there's hardly any response other than a subtle glance of disapproval or two.

With respect to what you perceive as someone in great danger, I think most of these are just drunken people and people who are just asleep. From what I read, Japan has a really serious drinking problem - their work culture demands that they work long hours, and after knocking off work people are still expected to go out to drink with their coworkers. As a result, even if they are not drunk, they tend to be dog tired. Interestingly, I also read that sleeping on the job is acceptable and is seen as being committed to the work. I don't really know, but perhaps there are just too many of these drunken and sleeping people around that this becomes a daily sight, that people tend to just ignore.

My own experience during a short trip to Japan is that they are usually friendly and helpful people. They try very hard when we asked for directions, even though we don't understand their spoken language. There was also this time when we arrived at the Nikko train station in very heavy rain, and out of nowhere a car appeared in front of us to give us umbrellas that we were not expected to return. Overall though, I find that people in the more rural areas tend to be more friendly compared to those in the cities. In particular, my impression of Tokyo is that the people are all very busy.