Bladder Capacity?

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Bladder Capacity?

Post by Wombat48 »

I am fascinated by the range of male bladder sizes

When painfully desperate the most I have ever measured is 1.4 litres which I know is well above average

Anyone else ever measured?
Def123
Entrenched!

Re: Bladder Capacity?

Post by Def123 »

Not directly.

When I was at Uni I once saw a friend take a piss into a pint glass at a party, he filled it completely, emptied it out of the window and then filled it 3/4 full (so that’s about 1 L, just over?)

That must have been fairly close to his maximum capacity, someone was in the bathroom and he’d asked where he could piss (it was my house), the only place was out of my bedroom window but it was a bit high so he’d used his empty beer glass while I’d watched the door.
greatwater
Can't stay away...

Post by greatwater »

When I measured it last time when I was very desperate (somebody told me to do it), it was a litre and a bit.

Your bladder is so large, Mr. Wombat!
"What a relief! I thought I was gonna wet myself at the interview!"
"Damn the traffic! Been holding for about three hours!"
"Here we go! Ahhhhhhh Amazing piss!"
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Most men piddle before they reach 500 mL, and many medical sites give 600 - 700 mL as "maximum" capacity, though I've seen a couple that have admitted that the maximum may be "up to one liter". But there are a lot of factors that come into play regarding capacity. Among them:
1. Genetic endowment. Bladders, like all other body parts, come in a range of sizes naturally.
2. Habits. A bladder that is frequently fully filled will gradually stretch some to accommodate and create a new norm for that person.
3. Pain tolerance. Some people experience real pain before they are actually full, and at the other extreme, some hardly notice the fullness until they suddenly become desperate to pee. Extreme discomfort forces some to urinate even when they probably could have held it longer.
3. Sphincter strength. I read of some people who can hold their pee until they risk damage to their urinary system, while others (the ones we like to read about) lose control a lot more easily.
4. Psychological factors. I automatically have to pee when I take a shower. We can get sudden urges to pee on arriving home or heading for the toilet. Others have been surprised at how much they peed after being too busy to think about it.

I'm sure members at this site can contribute more factors that affect bladder capacity.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Fred wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 23:30 [...]
I'm sure members at this site can contribute more factors that affect bladder capacity.
I hope so. It's all interesting. But your list is already very impressive. I hadn't thought about some of those before. The psychological factors are definitely real with me, and I certainly experience suddenly really needing to go at the moment when I can, like after getting home as you say.

I've never actually measured my capacity. However, I know it does vary. I hold a lot more when I'm in bed, and the first morning pee is far more than I would ever normally hold during the day.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Post by Wombat48 »

Definetely easier to hold in bed as the bladder is relaxed and has filled slowly
Even though I can hold a lot I absolutely get the thing when I am in front of the toilet and the desperation massively increases!
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Can add the following to the list:
* Tightness of the bottoms. Negatively correlated with bladder capacity.

I have not measured. But I know my bladder isn't large. Should be more than half a litre, but most probably less than one litre.
Gymlad
Arrived

Post by Gymlad »

Firstly, hi! New to this site! UK guy here.

I stumbled across this site following a quick search regarding bladder capacity.

I’ve always known I can hold a fair amount and I find myself stood at urinals way longer than others.

So this brings me to this point, I’ve never known how much I hold. This morning I woke up with the standard need to go (nothing different to a normal day), I was pondering this fact and thought, well why not find out? So went downstairs and grabbed a finished 2 litre bottle of lemonade.

Went back upstairs, in to the shower to then realise that the mouth of a bottle is far far smaller than you realise!!!!!

Anyway, with a fair amount of spillage due to not quite getting the aim right, I filled the thing! 2 litres?!

Knowing how much I drink (I’m always drinking water) I was thinking I would get over a litre, but I really didn’t expect to fill the whole 2 litres.

I was left just looking at this wondering if it be proud of this achievement or be concerned.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Gymlad wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 17:53 Firstly, hi! New to this site! UK guy here.
Welcome and thanks for joining us. Hope you like the site.
[...]
Knowing how much I drink (I’m always drinking water) I was thinking I would get over a litre, but I really didn’t expect to fill the whole 2 litres.

I was left just looking at this wondering if it be proud of this achievement or be concerned.
There seems to be some consensus that men's bladders will hold about 700ml on average but that there is a lot of variation.
You seem to be on a very high end of that variation.
Nothing to be concerned about, I would have thought. Whether you are proud or not is up to you. But I guess it's pretty obvious that having such a high-capacity bladder can be very useful.
Gymlad
Arrived

Post by Gymlad »

Brian wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 22:24
Gymlad wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 17:53 Firstly, hi! New to this site! UK guy here.
Welcome and thanks for joining us. Hope you like the site.
[...]

There seems to be some consensus that men's bladders will hold about 700ml on average but that there is a lot of variation.
You seem to be on a very high end of that variation.
Nothing to be concerned about, I would have thought. Whether you are proud or not is up to you. But I guess it's pretty obvious that having such a high-capacity bladder can be very useful.
Thanks for the warm welcome..

I say concerned, I guess it was just unexpected and seeing the bottle just continue to fill and feeling the weight of it was a bit of a surprise!

Regardless I should be grateful, my mates are in the gents every other pint when we are out yet I can last most of the evening.

I’m more thinking now what it would be when I am desperate!