Troops in Battle

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Troops in Battle

Post by Sam70 »

We have spent much time on troops in review such as the Queen’s State Funeral.. What about troops in real combat during war?

Some battle have lasted not just hours, but days. When troops are defending a city or the troops are trying to conquer a city the battles rages on. There is no morning break,, lunch break, afternoon break, or bedtime break.

I have never served in the military and I have no clue as to how troops are trained to handle bladder needs when’s battle rages on and on.

Trips sometimes are hiding from the enemy. Getting up to take a pee would announce to the enemy where a soldier is located. That could mean immediate death from enemy fire.

Does anyone here know how troops are trained? I am not asking what each of us suspect this is handled. I am asking how the troops are trained to handle toilet breaks in a war situation where a battle lasts much longer than any person can hold his pee and someone here knows the official policy for pee breaks in battle. No one can hold their pee for many hours or several days and someone here may really know how the troops are trained to handle pee breaks during battle.

I am thinking of when American and British troops landed at Normandy during WW2. That battle raged on for days,
Brian
Site Staff
Re: Troops in Battle

Post by Brian »

I won't speculate because you ask us not to.

But a quick googling brought up this thread where it is discussed. The responses default to "All related", so change that to "Answers" to view the (currently) 3 responses.
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Post by Sam70 »

Thanks Brain for this web sight Quora.

One poster commented that on those marches that were a part of actual combat duty, not marches on base when recruits were in Boot Camp or Basic Training. This poster said he would run up to a tree, take a pee and then run to reclaim his spot.

In WW 1 some soldiers had dysentery so bad they cut the seem in the back of their pants to make it easier as well as faster to carry out taking a shit almost continuously!

One person commented that his great grandfather in W W 1 were stuck in the same position as lomg as three days and they haf to pee and shit their pants. Any movement would result in them being shot.

Great site for how troops handled bodily needs while in combat even though more posts were about that other function than taking a pee.

The question I have is did the troops have to figure this out after being in combat situations or where the troops have as part of their training all these real situations that happen in combat?

Pilots in training to be pilots of fighter jets have to learn how to pee into a nappy or in a sock like garment that some can wear over their penis. Females along with some men have to wear nappies. Some guys wear nappies in case they need to take care of the other function.

Pilots are in the air sometimes over 7 hours and don’t need to have their attention drawn to a full bladder. The cockpits of fighter jets have no room for pilots to change pants or to take a pee.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Sam70 wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 08:21 [...]
Pilots are in the air sometimes over 7 hours and don’t need to have their attention drawn to a full bladder. The cockpits of fighter jets have no room for pilots to change pants or to take a pee.
Isn't it strange that "Top Gun" (the Tom Cruise blockbuster) didn't mention anything about this? :roll:
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Post by Sam70 »

It isn’t mentioned in the movie, but,all the fighter pilots have to shower and this Is shown in Top Gun.

There is a procedure to get rid of soiled clothes without the other pilots seeing this done. I suspect that the showers are private with a tiny private (with curtain) changing area. I suspect fighting clothes are wrapped in large towels by the pilots. There is a bin for flying clothes and towels for all pilots to use.

I remember the conversation by some news outlets, but the procedure was not discussed. All I know is that immediately showers are required and there is a bin to place flying clothes to be washed and returned to the pilots.

That being said, I highly doubt that the producers wanted to show Tom in a nappy or have these “studs” talking about wetting their pants on a mission. This doesn’t fit the hero model in Top Gun!
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Although I had gone through conscription, I don't think we were explicitly trained on how to handle bladder needs. Since you asked for us not speculate, I shall say no more.

This story nicely sums up how a soldier handled his needs during a simulated ambush, and provides another nice reference point on top of what Brian has given. I don't think they were explicitly trained on this topic either.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

googlism2008 wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 20:55
This story nicely sums up how a soldier handled his needs during a simulated ambush, and provides another nice reference point on top of what Brian has given. I don't think they were explicitly trained on this topic either.
"I guess it pays to have a penis sometimes." Yes, it certainly does! :o ;)