Tom Holland - Spiderman Actor

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Tom Holland - Spiderman Actor

Post by Lee »

Has anyone else noticed how obsessed Tom Holland seems to be with the 'toilet issues' he had with the Spiderman suit?

Every chat show/interview he does he manages to get in how difficult it was for him to get the suit off, how he had to plan his toilet breaks and how he once almost wet himself in the suit!

He always wants to talk about it. He was on the Graham Norton show a couple of weeks back and again tried to reference it in his interview but Norton changed the subject.

It'd be nice if an interviewer allowed him to develop the story further!
Fred
Site Staff

Re: Tom Holland - Spiderman Actor

Post by Fred »

I will have to pay attention to him from now on. Whenever someone (or a TV show) seems to bring up toilet issues often, there has to be a good reason for it. Maybe one or more of those performers is lurking here right now! :o
burstingguys
Site Staff

Post by burstingguys »

You can imagine it would leave quite an impression on him: First day on set of his biggest role yet guzzling coffee as crew help him squeeze into his costly costume.

Ignoring his quickly filling bladder in an effort to impress and demonstrate work ethic. Finally reaching his limit, bladder pounding as he grimaces through the end of the scene. Having to ask for a "quick toilet break" face red at having to stop in the middle of filming. The AD taking him aside and asking if the crew had gone over how complicated it was to take the suit off. How he can plan toilet breaks for Tom as part of the daily schedule. The 2nd AD reassuring him they would get crew there as soon as possible to help him out of the suit. Sensing the panic of a young man desperately needing to urinate and guiding him into the privacy of a trailer next to the porta-johns to "do whatever you have to do to hold on."

The crew of men taking 15 or so minutes to peel the suit off his shaking body as he begs them hurry moments away from wetting himself right there in their hands…

"I gotta get in there man!"
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

That is a wonderful description, BG. It is almost certainly the way it really happened too! From what Lee tells us about the interviews, pee breaks were clearly a serious issue for him, and it did almost go badly wrong and he did nearly wet himself in that expensive spider man suit. I wish I'd been on set with him on those occasions.

Those photos are seriously good! ;)
bodgyuk
Site Staff

Post by bodgyuk »

I never realised how body hugging that suit was until I saw those photos. Seriously missing a hint of a wet spot though :(
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Actors need strong bladders. Not only do they often have to wear complicated costumes, but sometimes their on-location shoots are lacking adequate toilets. And directors aren't fond of taking unscheduled breaks.

In this case, it may be that needing to pee has been an issue for him for much of his life, and his near accidents in the expensive costume have left an emotional scar.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Tom Holland's predecessor Andrew Garfield had similar problems on his own admission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainme ... my-bladder
Andrew Garfield has revealed that he needed to "make friends" with his bladder while filming The Amazing Spider-Man.

He told the BBC's Genevieve Hassan that his super-hero costume took 20 minutes to get in to, so he had to learn to control his bladder.

"It was tough. It wasn't designed for quick access," he said.

"I had to really know about my bladder and understand my bladder in a way that I never had to before."
He's not quite so open about what exactly happened as Tom Holland is, but I think Andrew Garfield must also have had some desperate moments and near-leakage before he "learned" to "understand" his bladder!

Schwartz
Arrived

Post by Schwartz »

It takes 15 minutes to get the spidey suit off? Jeez! I had no idea it was that complicated.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Schwartz wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 10:14 It takes 15 minutes to get the spidey suit off? Jeez! I had no idea it was that complicated.
Probably takes even longer if you can't stand still, too! ;)
greatwater
Can't stay away...

Post by greatwater »

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/159857 ... om-holland I have found this interview about Tom Holland and his urine trouble.

"I can tell you the worst! The worst day was... I was doing a scene with an actor --- who I won't tell you who he is --- and I was in the Spider-Man suit and it was in the very beginning of shooting, and I was in a harness and I had to stick to the ceiling. And I didn't go to the bathroom for like eleven hours or something. Because, we didn't really figure out how to take the suit off quickly at that point. We didn't understand how it worked. And I was in a harness. And obviously it's hot, so I'm drinking water all the time because I'm doing exercises and running around. But, I need to go to the toilet. Yeah, I didn't go to the bathroom for like eleven hours. And that's an expensive suit. You do not want to wet yourself in that suit. Marvel and Sony would not be happy. So, that was the worst part of filming."

Well in the case of Batman, the website said,

This isn't the first time that a superhero actor has complained about bathroom problems associated with their role. Christian Bale aired similar grievances about his Batman suit while filming The Dark Knight trilogy. The Nolan Era Bat-suit became so problematic that Bale even spoke to Ben Affleck before the shooting of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and warned his successor to have a fly installed on the new iteration of the costume.
"What a relief! I thought I was gonna wet myself at the interview!"
"Damn the traffic! Been holding for about three hours!"
"Here we go! Ahhhhhhh Amazing piss!"