Promotion of members

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
Brian
Site Staff
Promotion of members

Post by Brian »

This thread is really only directed at the staff members, and I could send them all a new PM instead of this public posting, but I tried that some weeks ago with no apparent result. I just want to voice a worry I have. I have only the continued success of this forum as motivation. Please, hard-working and valued staff members, don't take this the wrong way.

Since my departure from the staff team two months ago (which, for anyone who's wondering, was amicable - from my experience at least - and based on a realisation on my own part that my presence in the team was no longer contributing to the welfare of our site), I have noticed several new members who have posted extremely good items and shown themselves to be really enthusiastic but who are still requiring their postings to be approved. I would have promoted several of these people to the group able to see Stronger Interests weeks ago if I had still been a staff member.

It could be that I am way out of line. I don't see everything which is happening anymore, after all. But if, on the other hand, there is some kind of difficulty with establishing a system which promotes new members in a timely fashion, could you address this as a matter of urgency? Because if it isn't addressed, the new members will be discouraged and this site will die a slow death. None of us wants that to happen.

Cheers. And thanks for all your hard work.

Brian.
Tytn
Site Staff
Re: Promotion of members

Post by Tytn »

Nah, we're getting to it Brian.

You did a lot of vital and helpful work in your time here except that our shift patterns still haven't changed and you did a lot more than you probably thought. I still work 50-60 work weeks and have other things on.

To be fair, not that many need the approval done but if you think there is, I'll go back through the user list and move things around.

We have also managed to reduce the daily spam posting down to near zero
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Thanks for your response Tytn. Yes, I know you work horrendously long hours and have done for a very long time, so I'm not in the least surprised that you haven't necessarily got to this particular chore yourself. But maybe it's something your other team members can take more of a role in.

I'm also very grateful to you for all your work to improve the site during the last few months.

I'll PM you a list of people who I've noticed ought to be promoted just in case that helps.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

This subject still worries me one year on.

I have no intention of being a "back seat driver", and I know I have zero say in what happens on the administrative side of the site, but I still have the strong impression that enthusiastic new members are being discouraged and are leaving the site because they are not being promoted to see stronger interests in a timely fashion. That is to the detriment of this site, and because I love the site I am worried about it. (If anyone on the staff team requires it, I have names which I have noticed recently of people whom I would have promoted long ago if I'd still been on the team. PM me if you need to.)

Has there been a change of policy? Are we being (much) more strict with our requirements for entry to see SI nowadays? Or is it only a matter of "getting round to it"? Can some attention be given to this subject so that the new members can be encouraged to post SI-appropriate material as well as G&O material? Or am I worrying needlessly?
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

There hasn't been a change of policy, but as new members mature on site we, as moderators, discuss moving some or others on. As you know, having been a moderator, we look for certain things in posts including those that are actually 'interested' in watersports as we are, but without just posting 'filler' posts. According to the members list we have about 200 active users (6 pages or so of users who have taken part with at least one post). Of those, about 50 of them have made 15 or above posts. That leaves the other 150 or so who have made betwen 1 and 15 posts.

Those who take part more get elevated to the more indepth area.

The moderators still work hard to deal with the spammers, which dribble in at their own odd speed. But we do monitor the situation. If you want to PM me, you are always welcome ;)

As for other regular users, they do PM me as well and I try to help as much as I can under the cirumstances. If there are users that you think /should/ be elevated then please do PM me Brian and we'll do the usual bits. But you know you are a positive member here and we shall always regard that as so ;)

Take care.

Tytn
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

We dropped the requirement of 15 posts around the time the community migrated to this new site. Quality of postings became key, and in some cases as few as 3 postings was sufficient. If the number 15 is at all relevant now, then I think you have changed policy.

You say you try to help as much as you can under the circumstances. That's great, but I hope that other members of your team are in a position to take on tasks like checking for members who should be promoted when the circumstances don't allow you to.

Thank you for your reply, but you haven't really alleviated my concerns. I think people are being overlooked and ultimately discouraged from taking part. Is there maybe someone on your team who is prepared to keep close tabs on the membership as I used to do?
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

I apologize for not doing more to follow new members and to suggest promotion when merited.
Bigdog
Can't stay away...

Post by Bigdog »

Is it possible to get to the stronger interest section ?
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Brian; the reference to '15' posts in my post was more of an arbitary figure. I do recall the changes we made, and as said those users that are reaching or passing the threshold are discussed by the moderator team.

Still, its nice to see there is more activity here since the last I've been in. Perhaps I shouldn't be escaping the real world as often :o