I need help

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
Yannn
Active

I need help

Post by Yannn »

Hello guys
Don’t worry it’s not something alarming.
As you may not know, English is not my first language. I learned through trash tv show and internet video so, obviously my English is bad.
However I have some stories that I want to share. I write them but I don’t post them because I don’t think they are really pleasant to read. Sometime I’m sure I could use a better word/expression. Also sometimes when I’m trying to say something, I use a lot of words and I make a very long sentence and at the end it means nothing and I miss the point of my thought.

So I need some help. Maybe if someone would like to help me by reading my story in private and help me to correct it and tell me if it makes sense, It will be very very nice. ( I can use Skype/ discord/ gmail chat/ kink/ WhatsApp for a live chat)
Thank you
Fred
Site Staff

Re: I need help

Post by Fred »

You think your English is bad? Please know that the above post is very well written, and few readers would know that English is not your native language! Your writing is better than what we see from many who were born in the UK or the US. You can be proud of your mastery of English.

However, please feel free to PM a story to a moderator for review. I'd be glad to check it for incorrect word usage and such, though I would not want to interfere with your writing style. Try sending one and we'll see how that works out.
Skikid2010
Site Staff

Post by Skikid2010 »

I agree with Fred!

If your post definitely demonstrates that you have a grasp on the English language! I would also be happy to help you!
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

One more thing to add: Many years ago, in the early days of message boards, there was a Swiss gent who used the name Marinus Helveticus, who dared to write stories of young men needing to pee. His use of English gave his tales a special charm and uniqueness. Unfortunately, he is long gone from the Internet, as are his stories, with one or two exceptions. So I would suggest that a robot-like correctness in language use is not necessarily an asset. If your sentence structure or word usage is a bit unconventional, that may add to the ambiance of your story. If I were to proofread your work, I would not want to mess with your style!
Sam70
Can't stay away...

Post by Sam70 »

I would have never known that English is not your first language if you had not told us. You certainly are fluent in English.

I will be glad to help as well. I can give you my email address through a private message and you can use word pad or put the story on the main page of the email. I echo Fred's comment that I would not want to mess with your style in any way. Your style identifies who you are.

Where we who are English first language can help the most is giving you a precise word or a different word to keep from using the same word over and over.

Example: big. You might want to use something different. Here are some English words that mean the same thing as big: large, huge, gigantic, humongous. In general, large is bigger than big. Huge is bigger than large. Gigantic is larger than huge. Humongous is bigger than gigantic.

Big used in a paragraph:

The first house was big. The second house was very large. The third house was really gigantic. I've never seen a house that humongous before.

This is where we most likely can help by giving vocabulary suggestions. Descriptive words that you may not know. (I misspelled descriptive. I typed discriptive instead. A red line appeared under discriptive. I was prompted to change that to descriptive. Sometimes, it is a typo. Sometimes I get the wrong vowel or use an s when it should be a c, etc. I use a spell check app that also makes phrase suggestions. Sometimes I leave out a word that really needs to be there and this app will alert me to make a small change in the sentence structure.

You can also google a word such as big and ask for synonyms. A group of words will come up.

I hold the record on the Internet for the person who can use the most words to describe something. I will be glad to hand that trophy for that off to someone!

Looking forward to reading your stories!
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

I don't have much to add, but to echo what others have said, it isn't obvious that the OP's first language isn't English.

The OP is concerned that he "use[s] a lot of of words". I don't think this is a major problem. No doubt conciseness makes for efficient communications, but always using as few words as possible can make messages rather brusque. Besides, it is words that add details and colour to the stories. Otherwise, given the very narrow focus of this forum, everything boils down to "he needs to pee", which can be incredibly boring.

Perhaps just a slight elaboration on Sam's point. While there are many ways to describe the concept of "big", they have different naunces. For example, different words or phrases for "big" come with varying degrees of strength: from the mildest to the strongest. Also, adjectives or adverbs such as "very" or "extremely" can enhance the strength of the concept. Play around with different words and phrases, and use the available vocabulary to your advantage. This avoids the monotony of repeating the same words. (I can't help but be reminded of Trump. He loves using the same set of superlatives such as "huge", and as a result his speeches always comes out very strongly worded.) Having said that, I do recognize that as one improves in a language, an increasing number of ways of saying the same thing should be stored in his repositore. And these come in varying lengths.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

googlism2008 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 15:37 I don't have much to add, but to echo what others have said, it isn't obvious that the OP's first language isn't English.

The OP is concerned that he "use[s] a lot of of words". I don't think this is a major problem. No doubt conciseness makes for efficient communications, but always using as few words as possible can make messages rather brusque. Besides, it is words that add details and colour to the stories. Otherwise, given the very narrow focus of this forum, everything boils down to "he needs to pee", which can be incredibly boring.

Perhaps just a slight elaboration on Sam's point. While there are many ways to describe the concept of "big", they have different naunces. For example, different words or phrases for "big" come with varying degrees of strength: from the mildest to the strongest. Also, adjectives or adverbs such as "very" or "extremely" can enhance the strength of the concept. Play around with different words and phrases, and use the available vocabulary to your advantage. This avoids the monotony of repeating the same words. (I can't help but be reminded of Trump. He loves using the same set of superlatives such as "huge", and as a result his speeches always comes out very strongly worded.) Having said that, I do recognize that as one improves in a language, an increasing number of ways of saying the same thing should be stored in his repositore. And these come in varying lengths.
An activity that have done in a classroom is to demonstrate "walk" as I move from one side of the classroom to the other, and then have students come up with other words (like stroll, saunter, stagger, skip, roll, etc.) and to demonstrate them for us. It was a visual way of showing the nuances in words, even though the end result was the same!
Yannn
Active

Post by Yannn »

Thank you this is very kind.

To be honest, It's not hard to me to play with words. I think I know how to use synonym, to discribe things.
But sometimes I keep "thinking" in french before expressing myself in english and, in french, we have some grammar and verb rules that can be very helpful to write. And, maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think these rules exist in english. So, this is why I find myself using an amount of words to say something very simple and I keep thinking that there is probably a simple way and a less overwhelm way to say what I want. As a result I always think that what i'm writing could really be misunderstood.

But thank you for your help I will for sure send my stories to the people who wants to help me. And don't worry, I don't think I have a "style", so if I have to change a paragraph I can do it. My goal is to be able to write something fluent and enjoyable and to be understand by everyone.